News: How Social Isolation Is Killing Us

Homelessness, affordable housing and related issues
Forum rules
Play Nice ... Absolutely no swearing, abuse or unsavoury behaviour will be tolerated. Members of the public can view posts, but must register to make posts.

News: How Social Isolation Is Killing Us

Postby Noel Tudball » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:00 am

How Social Isolation Is Killing Us - The New York Times

"My patient and I both knew he was dying.
Not the long kind of dying that stretches on for months or years. He would die today. Maybe tomorrow. And if not tomorrow, the next day. Was there someone I should call? Someone he wanted to see?
Not a one, he told me. No immediate family. No close friends. He had a niece down South, maybe, but they hadn’t spoken in years.
For me, the sadness of his death was surpassed only by the sadness of his solitude. I wondered whether his isolation was a driving force of his premature death, not just an unhappy circumstance.

Every day I see variations at both the beginning and end of life: a young man abandoned by friends as he struggles with opioid addiction; an older woman getting by on tea and toast, living in filth, no longer able to clean her cluttered apartment. In these moments, it seems the only thing worse than suffering a serious illness is suffering it alone."

More at source: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/22/upshot/how-social-isolation-is-killing-us.html?mc=adglobal&mcid=facebook&subid1=AU&mccr=eng&subid=pay&_r=1

Coalition Members:
  • St. Anne’s Parish Social Justice Group
  • Seaford Community Committee
  • St Vincent de Paul
  • Residents of the Seaford Beach Cabin Park
SHAC Forum
- SHAC3198@gmail.com

Noel Tudball
Chairman

Return to SHAC - Seaford Housing Action Coalition