2020 FCC Election: North-East Ward

Homelessness, affordable housing and related issues
Forum rules
Play Nice ... Absolutely no swearing, abuse or unsavoury behaviour will be tolerated. Members of the public can view posts, but must register to make posts.

2020 FCC Election: North-East Ward

Postby Noel Tudball » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:22 am

SHAC's enquiry to 2020 Candidates: (sent 10 October 2020) and other information:
http://www.seafordcc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=436&p=854#p854

Responses from North East Ward Candidates to SHAC's enquiry have been recorded in order of receipt and will be published at the same time on 14 October 2020

Dear Candidate for the Frankston City Council election.

Seaford Housing Action Coalition (SHAC) is a community group of local residents concerned about homelessness in the Frankston municipal area. For some years we've been saying there's a problem with too many commercial Rooming Houses and they are inadequate for providing crisis accommodation to the homeless. We learned from Council last month there are currently 77 registered Rooming Houses in Frankston and an occupancy allowance of 867 individuals. This puts Frankston near the top in the State for numbers of commercial Rooming Houses.

SHAC calls on all Candidates in the Council election to consider the role Council could play in improving this situation. We seek your opinion on the issues of Affordable Housing and Crisis Accommodation in Frankston.

Your response is requested please, to the attached summary page that SHAC submitted to this year's VIC Govt Inquiry into Homelessness. (https://parliament.vic.gov.au/lsic-lc/inquiry/976). It presents a simple statement of the problem and a few options based on locally identified solutions.

Your indication as to whether you would support a SHAC feasibility study for the development of the vacant VicRoads Overton Road/Skye Road opportunity site. (or part thereof) for crisis housing of independent units on the cabin park or tiny houses model.

We expected the Federal budget on Wednesday would have launched building programs for public and social housing. The absence of such provisions means that it is even more important for Frankston Council to be more emphatic and proactive in doing what it can regarding homelessness. We call on you as a potential member of the new Council, to pursue, as a matter of priority, improved crisis housing and affordable housing options in the City of Frankston.

We look forward to hearing from you in the next few days and will distribute all responses as they are received on the SHAC on-line Forum with links on the SHAC website and Facebook Page.

yours sincerely
Noel Tudball
Chairman

Re: 2020 FCC Election: North-East Ward

Postby Noel Tudball » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:16 pm

Response from Henryk Kay: 11 October 2020

Further to our phone conversation at 11.20am today I wish to state that I will strongly support social housing and also I will push to have affordable house put within the municipality as a matter of urgency so that the number of homeless is reduced

I am also a member of the council’s Disability Access & Inclusion Committee and will align the social housing needs to include people with disabilities as well when appropriate to so

As I mentioned your proposed site has red flags due to what I mentioned in the phone conversation the 2 alternative options which I personally feel would be appropriate are shown below
1. The corner of Cranbourne Road & Fletcher Road(Next to the Fire Station)
2. 300 Frankston-Dandenong Road Opposite Monterey boulevard

These 2 sites I have listed above are better options as No 1 is close to the Frankston Hospital and also the Frankston CAD & Railway Station and the other one is close to public transport (Bus Routes 832 & 901)

If you have any need to contact me please feel free to do so via email or my mobile.

Henryk Kay
0417 309 574
hkay@optusnet.com.au

Noel Tudball
Chairman

Re: 2020 FCC Election: North-East Ward

Postby Noel Tudball » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:05 pm

Response from Karan Kent : 14 October 2020

Good Afternoon David,
Thanks you for taking the time to email Candidates the information outline in relation to Homelessness in Frankston.

Your one page summery sets forward as you say a simple easy summery of how to move forward with achievable recommendations and I’d be keen to give my support

Part 2 of your questions mention a feasibility study for the development of land at the vacant VicRoads Overton Road / Skye Road site for Crisis housing as I haven’t seen this feasibility study I can only give you my in principle support.

When working for FCC some 10 years back the issue of boarding houses and homelessness was also a focus then, I read your submission and saddened but not surprised that Frankston has now reached 5th highest in the state for homeless, its also concerning to see the number of Boarding Houses are up to 77 registered houses, with a capacity of around 11/ 12 persons per house.
Within my work over the years I’m aware of the many issues impacting homelessness and
currently Chair the Dhelk Dja South Metro, which is an Aboriginal Family Violence Action group. We are constantly discussing the need for housing in the area/ region and the lack of emergency housing supports. FYI Dhelk Dja is the State Governments 10 year Aboriginal Family Violence Plan that sits within FSV ( Family Safety Victoria) at our July State partnership Forum, we were presented by Aboriginal Housing who introduced their new homelessness framework ‘Mana-na worn tyeen’ meaning every Aboriginal person has a home, I have included to this email. It also underlines a series of recommendations to the State Government

After elections I would be keen to meet with your group to deepen the conversation and broaden my understanding from SHACs perspective.
Once more thankyou for the information sharing and opportunity to give in principle support.
Stay safe and healthy
Cheers
Karan

Kind Regards

Karan Kent – North East Ward Candidate
E: Karankent@outlook.com
Facebook/Instagram; VoteNorth-EastKaran

VOTE 1 – KARAN KENT – NORTH EAST WARD

Respectfully acknowledging the Traditional Custodians of the lands and waterways on which we campaign. My respects to Elders past and present, to young people who are our future and to all emerging leaders who follow the footsteps of our ancestor
Authorized by K.Kent PO Box 8618 Carrum Downs 3201

Noel Tudball
Chairman

Return to SHAC - Seaford Housing Action Coalition