2022 State Election: Q's for Candidates on Homelessness

Homelessness, affordable housing and related issues
Forum rules
Play Nice ... Absolutely no swearing, abuse or unsavoury behaviour will be tolerated. Members of the public can view posts, but must register to make posts.

2022 State Election: Q's for Candidates on Homelessness

Postby Noel Tudball » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:25 pm

2022 State Election: Questions for Candidates in the Carrum and Frankston Districts
Sources:
Responses will be published here as they are received. Advice was also Posted on our Facebook Page.
==============================================
FB_IMG_16686460076646214.jpg
FB_IMG_16686460076646214.jpg (58.52 KiB) Viewed 46108 times

RE: your views on homelessness

Many people are unable to find adequate accommodation in the City of Frankston. Too many sleep rough and the municipality has an especially high number of rooming houses, many of which are unsafe, inappropriate and expensive.

The State Government has allocated no ‘big build’ affordable housing funds to Frankston, yet at the same time requires surplus land that might be suitable for crisis housing to be sold at market value.

1. What will you do about the homelessness crisis and housing affordability, if elected to represent us?
  2. Will you press the government to fund low-cost units, well-served by public transport and close to all services and employment opportunities, for low-income persons and families?
  3. Will you commit to substantially increasing public housing in Victoria?
  4. Will you advocate for making funds available for municipalities and not-for-profit organizations to enter the low-cost housing market by buying private rooming houses or building new ones?
  5. Will you advocate for making surplus government land available to community and social housing providers at no cost to provide crisis housing in the form of tiny-house or bungalow parks with communal facilities and social, health and psychiatric support?
  6. Specifically in regard to this, would you support making the Overton Road/Farrell Street/Frankston-Dandenong Rd site available for this purpose at no or nominal cost? (Map Reference)
  7. Will you advocate for changing legislation to enable house owners to have a bungalow or tiny house for rent in their back yard?
  8. Will you advocate for the inclusion of low-cost accommodation in conjunction with car-parking (and perhaps other uses), in LXRA suburban railway station redevelopments? Would you also support such development at Frankston station, instead of the presently proposed single-use multi-storey car park?
  9. Will you help raise awareness of local homelessness in your campaign material?
We will publish the responses of candidates on our website, Facebook pages, digital newsletter and issue a media release after Monday 14th November. We look forward to your response by then.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Email - SHAC3198@gmail.com

Solidarity with homeless people and those at risk of homelessness.

Coalition Members:
  • St. Anne’s Parish Social Justice Group
  • Seaford Community Committee
  • St Vincent de Paul Mt Eliza Conference Social Justice Group
  • Residents of the Seaford Beach Cabin Park
Noel Tudball
Chairman

Re: 2022 State Election: Questions for Candidates

Postby Noel Tudball » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:10 pm

Response (in black) from ​Damian Willis, Tradies Do Candidate for Carrum:
​14 Nov. 2022, ​19:38

1. What will you do about the homelessness crisis and housing affordability, if elected to represent us?
    A vast majority of the housing crisis is caused by political intervention, if I had control I would remove all the new legislation that the Dan Andrews Labor party brought in as it only drives up the costs of rentals. I would also remove superannuation and corporate speculators from the market who are driving up the demand, remove negative gearing and cut stamp duty to the smallest administrative fee possible. We should be encouraging people to sell homes they don't need rather than holding them for financial purposes.

2. Will you press the government to fund low-cost units, well-served by public transport and close to all services and employment opportunities, for low-income persons and families?
    ​I'm a big supporter of purpose built housing for the vulnerable bit I believe it's much more important to create cheaper homes and increase opportunities so that people can afford their own home and build something real.

​I will have to judge each case on merit, I would rather help people buy their own home, removing red tape and government interference will drastically reduce the property values. This will hurt investors but make housing much more affordable for the everyday person.

4. Will you advocate for making funds available for municipalities and not-for-profit organizations to enter the low-cost housing market by buying private rooming houses or building new ones?
    ​No, government money should not be competing with private owners for housing, it will only drive up cost. We should focus on purpose built refuge for the less fortunate.

5. Will you advocate for making surplus government land available to community and social housing providers at no cost to provide crisis housing in the form of tiny-house or bungalow parks with communal facilities and social, health and psychiatric support?
    ​I would work in collaboration with existing charities to suport the less fortunate and allow people space on public land for short term living but we need systems in place to help people get back on their feet. We can't just set up housing for people if their are no opportunities in that area for them to succeed.

6. Specifically in regard to this, would you support making the Overton Road/Farrell Street/Frankston-Dandenong Rd site available for this purpose at no or nominal cost? (Map Reference)
    ​I would need mire information on what you had planned for the area.

7. Will you advocate for changing legislation to enable house owners to have a bungalow or tiny house for rent in their back yard?
    ​Local councils should not be able to stop you from developing your own land.

8. Will you advocate for the inclusion of low-cost accommodation in conjunction with car-parking (and perhaps other uses), in LXRA suburban railway station redevelopments? Would you also support such development at Frankston station, instead of the presently proposed single-use multi-storey car park?
    ​​I don't think it's appropriate to have housing combined with a railway station, I think we would be better off extending the line and making more land accessible by public transport.

9. Will you help raise awareness of local homelessness in your campaign material?​
    I'm always trying to raise awareness to these issue's. I would really like to set up a map of all Victoria pinpointing where people can get a free meal and a safe place to sleep when they're facing tough times.
Noel Tudball
Chairman

Postby Noel Tudball » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:31 pm

Response (in black) from Bec Buchanan, Liberal Candidate for Carrum:
​14 Nov. 2022, 21:13

​Hi Michael,

I am so sorry I missed this email yesterday.
I can only tell you that I am very interested in helping find solutions as soon as possible and should I be elected, I would love to meet with you regarding this growing and disturbing issue.

Bec

Noel Tudball
Chairman

Postby Noel Tudball » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:53 pm

Response (in black) from ​Darren Bergwerf, Tradies Do Candidate for Frankston]:
14 Nov. 2022, ​23:21

​Dear Michael Fraser
In reply to your questions:

​all housing both private and public for the Homeless must always be at Not for Profit and that would be our aim.There are numerous properties in the Frankston Electorate , buildings of all descriptions, that, for instance, could be acquired and refurbished. Housing Initially, on a crisis basis, would be at no cost cost to the Homeless, re-assessed at a later date, according to their situation.

​Yes, as mentioned above, all housing must be subsidised. Also appropriate planning must always locate this accomodation in the very near vacinity of all basic requirements ie: Public transport, Health Service, close to employment opportunities where possible(or at least easy access to Public Transport to get to work)and schools and /or schooling Communities. Now this of course is not only for the Homeless but for the at risk Low income families in the area. Our Children are our future.

​Yes, there would most definitely be a push for an increase in Public Housing, including shared housing(at Not for Profit rates).

​As mentioned above, shared housing or Private rooming must be available for those who require more of a community around them,( but need a roof, a meal, privacy/Dignity, and access to a Kitchen and a shower) and subsidised as mentioned above through Community/Local Council/State Government funding.

​There are multiple assets and Government buildings/ground in the local area that are very under utilised. Surplus Local/State Government owned land most certainly needs to be allowed to be handed back to the Local Community and/or Community run Homelessness or Low income Family Help Centres/Service providers for the development of such a site.
    Again Not for Profit Regulations governing construction and then the Rental Cost to the Individual. Tiny homes and/or bungalows on community land, in a community with Health, Recreation, Psychological and other Facilities could/should improve quality of Life

​Short answer Yes! Close to Public transport, some employment opportunities, close enough to a wealth of amenities, via public transport.

​Again the short answer is Yes! allowing property owners to put up a Tiny house/Bungalow in their back yard should be their choice. Without overt Local/State Government interference. The choice to house their immediate family, or their extended family, or the choice to offer for Rental, should be the owners. Now either choice would directly help the housing availability market which in turn will help the Homeless find accomadation and potentially create a greater feeling of Community.

​Yes and the priority is to raise the Frankston Station, which should have been done!
    With the Station raised the ground underneath (and this applies to all Level crossing raised Stations also)can be used for precisely what you ask. Low cost housing with parking and in Frankstons case, also more parking in general for everyone.

9. Will you help raise awareness of local homelessness in your campaign material?
    ​If you go to our website future4frankston.com(our campaign) you will see (as it was, for our Federal Campaign, Darren4Dunkley)that the Homeless are our top priority and feature prominently in our Campaign material. Read about Darren in his profile and you will understand why.

​In closing we hope that our answers give a small insight into our intentions for the Homeless issue should Darren become an Independent Member of Parliament.

Kind Regards
    ​​Darren Bergwerf
    future4frankston
Noel Tudball
Chairman

Return to SHAC - Seaford Housing Action Coalition